On April 8th, I celebrated another year around the sun!
Birthdays have always been a time of reflection for me, and today I want to express my gratitude for the invaluable support you have provided to the Woodson Center.
You enabled the Woodson Center to strengthen and elevate the life-changing work of the thousands of grassroots leaders we have supported over the past four decades.
While millions of dollars are being poured into funding destructive publicity campaigns “to rescue America from its racist past and present” and “to defund the police,” like me, I know you see the value in funding real solutions block-by-block.
- Our Woodson Center black history and character curriculum that tells the stories of black Americans whose tenacity and resilience enabled them to overcome adversity and make invaluable contributions to our country.
- Our Voices of Black Mothers United (VBMU) initiative that is making great strides to unite mothers of fallen children and community partners to amplify their voices to the nation, to heal and strengthen communities, and to create an environment of hope and opportunity.
- Community Affiliates Network (CAN) that has supported 208 community mini grants, in the amount of $5,000 each. This modest funding has helped our community leaders uplift people out of poverty, drug addiction, and to work with law enforcement to transform crime-ridden violent areas into safe neighborhoods for everyone.
While our programs have already made such an impact in countless lives across the country, it is my desire to see local community leaders empowered – so they can do what they are capable of, instead of just what they can afford.
And with your support, that is possible.
Therefore, I could not think of a greater gift for my birthday, than receiving your support in 2022, so we can:
- Expand VBMU, heal relationships with law enforcement, and unite with other mothers across race and class.
- Provide more mini grants to our hundreds of CAN organizations, our community “solutionists,” so they can continue to transform lives and restore communities.
- Further raise the profile of the Woodson Center by getting our K-12 empowering black history curriculum adopted in more schools.
Again, I am both humbled and honored that you not only believe in our work but have made a significant investment into helping us renew our great country, one community at a time.
We have the roadmap for America’s renewal. But we can’t restore this country without you.
Thank you so much for considering this request, and for all you do for the people we serve, through the Woodson Center.